The ghost town of Ward lies in the foothills of the Egan mountain range southeast of Ely. Booming from 1876 until 1882, with a peak population of 1,500 people, Ward was a lawless mining camp. Early killings occurred and justice was meted out by the vigilante committee and the hanging rope.
A million dollars worth of silver was taken from a single chamber of the Ward Mine. Yet an abandoned house was used for the first school and no movement was ever started to build a church.
The town was abandoned by the late 1880s, but new discoveries and better mining methods prompted a resurgence of activity in 1906 and again in the 1960s.
Ward Historic Marker.
Ely, Nevada 20 miles.
Southeast of Ely on U.S. Highways 6,50 & 93 to historic marker. Then west on well-maintained gravel road to remains of ghost town and cemetery.